We all know the importance topsoil plays in making your garden and plants thrive, but there are alternative uses as well for topsoil. In the following, we’ll be covering some alternative uses for topsoil.
Using topsoil as a potting mixture
most gardeners are unaware that they can use topsoil as a potting mixture – but it is a simple exercise for utilizing any topsoil you may have left over from other gardening projects.
- If you have already used the soil before you realized that you had too much, it is important to screen it before using it as a potting mixture – this will get rid of any pesky rocks or roots that may be in it. This technique can also be used for topsoil that you have taken from your garden whilst landscaping.
- Once screened, your topsoil should be mixed with compost and peat moss (one part topsoil, one part compost and one part peat moss) – again this can be done with topsoil straight from your garden or topsoil that you have purchased for other gardening projects.
- Moisten your new mix and add a slow release fertilizers to ensure that your plants will get all the nutrients it requires.
You should now have a great potting mixture for your plants and less left over topsoil!
Other ideas for using excess topsoil are:
- Use it for growing small herbs indoors – basil, dill and other herbs love the nutrients that are in topsoil.
- Why not use it for leveling your garden. Simply shovel the soil into the areas where your garden is uneven and roll it out using a roller. Repeat this until you have a level lawn and then throw some new grass seed on to your newly leveled areas to promote new lawn growth.
- Try growing vegetables and tomatoes, for vegetable gardens and raised flower beds.
- Sell it – you can often sell quality topsoil for a good price! If you have a good amount of land, it is a good idea to invest in a topsoil screener to bring in a little extra income.
There is a wealth of uses for your excess topsoil and hopefully this article will have helped you come with a few ideas of what to do with yours!